Search This Blog

Sunday, November 1, 2009

NaBloWriMo, it's like a Tonberry

It's November 1st the first exciting day of the first year of NaBloWriMo and NaNoWriMo if you're way cooler than we are and doing that.

I thought I'd start off with the sort of entry I started off this blog intending to make. An entry that helps us chronicle our large and often silly collection of geeky items ( Hence the subtitle a collection of geekery) and is hopefully helpful and/or entertaining to others who share our interests.

So I'm going to focus on one of the most recent additions to our collections, a plush Tonberry.



We generally avoid plushies, but just couldn't resist this one, I personally am an especially big fan of his little fishy tail.

Tonberries have been present in some form since Final Fantasy 5 (initially known as dingleberries or Pugs in the NA releases), but my first experience with a Tonberry came in Final Fantasy 7. I was making my way to the final battle in the Northern Cave, I'd been playing for I'd guess around an hour since the last save point when a Tonberry popped up. First I was confused.

This thing is so tiny and cute! What's it doing down here? All these other monsters are huge and terrible. Hee Hee look at his little knife, and that cute little star.*

*As though facing a tonberry completely obliviously isn't bad enough, this was a MASTER Tonberry as well.

So I attacked and it counterattacked the party with "everyone's grudge", it hurt of course, but it wasn't totally life threatening especially given the ridiculously high level we were all on. So I healed up and kept attacking and he kept counter attacking, while slowly moving forward.

I wonder why it's moving. Ha! It feel down, That's so cute!

This line of thinking continued until it made it to one of my party members (Cloud probably) and used "Chef's Knife"

Hee Hee, Doink! Even it's attacks are cu... HEY WTF! CLOUD'S DEAD! THAT REALLY HURT

I foolishly convinced myself that chefs knife was probably something like 1000 needles, it hurt the crap out of you, but you could handle it assuming the rest of the party was in good shape. Besides it was small and cute how many hit points could it really have left? I'd been pummeling it for at least a dozen turns now and unleashed a few limit breaks. I could handle this...

Later, staring at the game over screen.

F@$#$%*^% !!!!! I haven't saved in soo long, how could something so cute be so awful!

I think this little tale makes an excellent analogy for doing NaBloWriMo for me. Right now, it seems fun and easy and totally conquerable. However, I'm betting that by months end I'm going to be wondering why I didn't just turn and run as soon as I saw it. Luckily, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a chef's knife, so I may just make it out OK this time.

~Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails