Search This Blog

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Animation Meme

So I don't post in forever and when I do it's  a meme. But hey this meme is very relevant to my interests dang it!

- X what you saw
- O what you haven't finished/seen or saw sizable portions
- Bold what you loved
- Italicize what you disliked/hated
- Leave unchanged if neutral


CLASSIC DISNEY
-------------------------------
[X] 101 Dalmatians (1961)
[X] Alice in Wonderland (1951) - I really really like Alice, but I don't quite LOVE it.
[X] Bambi (1942) - So I don't love it but I cry every time
[X] Cinderella (1950) - Given that I'm a girl with a Princess complex, I enjoy Cinderella but less so as I age
[X] Dumbo (1941)
[X] Fantasia (1940)- One of my favorite movies ever. I love classical music and in my mind has some of the most beautiful animation ever created.
[X] Lady and the Tramp (1955)
[X] Mary Poppins (1964)
[X] Peter Pan (1953)
[X] Pinocchio (1940)
[X] Sleeping Beauty (1959) - Also with my princess problem I really Like sleeping beauty, but less so as I age
[X] Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
[] Song of the South (1946)

More after the jump





DISNEY'S DARK AGE
-------------------------------
[X] The Aristocats (1970)
[X ] The Black Cauldron (1985)
[X] The Fox and the Hound (1981)
[X] The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
[X] The Jungle Book (1967)
[X] The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)
[X] Oliver and Company (1986)
[X] Pete's Dragon (1977)
[X] The Rescuers (1977)- So Boring
[X] Robin Hood (1973) - I haven't seen this is a long time but I HATED it as a child
[X] The Sword In The Stone (1963)

THE DISNEY RENAISSANCE
-------------------------------
[X] Aladdin (1992) - I used to really really love Aladdin, but kind of outgrew it
[X] Beauty and the Beast (1991)
[X] A Goofy Movie (1995)
[X] Hercules (1997)- My love of Greek mythology ruins most of the enjoyment I could get out of this movie, if there weren't a big silly animated Pegasus I'd probably hate it.
[X]The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
[X] The Lion King (1994) - I saw this in the theater 3 times when it came out and Once in IMAX as an adult. It's one of the first movies I really loved on it's own merits and not just because it had something I liked in it (like mythical creatures and pretty princesses)
[X] The Little Mermaid (1989)-LOVED this movie as a child and I still really like it, but Ariel is too stupid to let me still love it
[X] Mulan (1998) I haven't seen it in awhile but I hated it when I did and the art style annoys me
[X] Pocahontas (1995)-I really don't like this one, but I don't actively dislike it either, I'd just rather not watch it
[X] The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
[] Tarzan (1999)

DISNEY'S MODERN AGE
-------------------------------
[] Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001) Sort of a mess, but pretty looking
[] Bolt (2008)
[] Brother Bear (2003)
[] Chicken Little (2005) - but I wouldn't watch it again.
[] Dinosaur (2000)
[] The Emperor's New Groove (2000) - I think I love this one more than it deserves
[] Fantasia 2000 (2000)- I find it mind blowing I haven't seen this one yet, but I've been wanting to get the DVD for awhile.
[] Home on the Range (2004)
[X] Lilo & Stitch (2002)- This one disappointed me. I really liked Stitch, he was animated wonderfully but the rest of the movie didn't do much for me.
[] Meet the Robinsons (2007)
[] Treasure Planet (2002)

I clearly am not a modern Disney fan

PIXAR
-------------------------------
[X] A Bug's Life (1998)
[] Cars (2006)
[X] Finding Nemo (2003)- This was a cute move but way way overrated
[] The Incredibles (2004)
[] Monsters Inc. (2001)
[] Ratatouille (2007)
[X] Toy Story (1995)
[X] Toy Story 2 (1999)
[] Toy Story 3 (2010) Apparently a toy octopus plays a small role in this one meaning I'll be seeing it as soon as I get the chance
[] Wall-E (2008)
[] Up (2009)


DON BLUTH
-------------------------------
[X] All Dogs Go to Heaven (1989)
[X] An American Tail (1986)-Hated this as a kid, but haven't seen it since then so I don't know I'd still dislike it
[X] An American Tail: Fieval Goes West (1991)-Same at the other American Tail movie
[X] Anastasia (1997)
[X] The Land Before Time (1988)- it's really too bad they made so many sequels as it's tones down the greatness of the original
[X] The Pebble and the Penguin (1995)
[X] Rock-a-Doodle (1991)- This movie is so annoying, I saw it several times and each time it grates more and more on my nerves
[X]The Secret of NIMH (1982)- I barely remember this one
[X] Thumbelina (1994)
[] Titan AE (2000)
[] A Troll in Central Park (1994)

CLAYMATION
-------------------------------
[o] The Adventures of Mark Twain (1986) - I know I've seen part of this but I'm not sure if I've seen it all
[X] Chicken Run (2000)- I saw this in the theater and can not remember a thing about it
[X] Corpse Bride (2005)-Such a disappointment
[X] James and the Giant Peach (1996) - I double checked with my brother and the family watched this move, but I can't rember it. Too bad because I LOVED the book.
[X] The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) - I remeber seeing this in the theater when it came out and it blew my mind. I Still ADORE this movie I just wish it was so overexposed these days
[] Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005)- I really don't know how I didn't see this because I love Wallace and Gromit.
[] Coraline (2009)

CGI GLUT
-------------------------------
[X] Antz (1998) - Stupid, and forgettable
[] Happy Feet (2006)
[] Kung Fu Panda (2008)
[] Madagascar (2005)
[] Monster House (2006)
[] Over the Hedge (2006)
[] The Polar Express (2004) - I think this one will be too scary for me
[X] Shrek (2001)- Shrek didn't do much for me, I never understood why people liked it so much
[] Shrek 2 (2004)
[] Shrek The Third (2007)
[] Monsters vs. Aliens - Felt like I should've liked this movie better than I did

It's also obvious I don't like CG much.


IMPORTS
-------------------------------
[] Arabian Knight (aka The Thief and the Cobbler) (1995)
[X] The Last Unicorn (1982)- Honestly this movie has issues, but I love it anyway I could watch it forever
[] Light Years (1988)
[] The Triplets of Belleville (2003)-I've been wanting to watch this for awhile I think it's in my Netflix que
[X] Persepolis (2007) - Not what I was expecting but a great move and one I'd highly reccomend
[] Waltz With Bashir (2008)- Netflix keeps suggesting this so I'm sure we'll get to it eventually
[X] Watership Down (1978) - I don't remember it at all, though I know I saw it
[] When the Wind Blows (1988)
[X] Yellow Submarine (1968) - You don't look bluish...


STUDIO GHIBLI/MIYAZAKI
-------------------------------
[X] Grave of the Fireflies (1988)- one of the best animated films ever made, but I can only watched it every couple of years because it's so depressing. Just thinking about makes me kind of sad.
[X] Howl's Moving Castle (2004)- This was a disappointment overall there were parts I liked but it really didn't grab me
[X] Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
[X] Laputa: Castle in the Sky (1986)
[] Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979)
[] My Neighbors The Yamadas (1999)
[X] My Neighbor Totoro (1993) I love Totoro so much, it's such a cute heartwarming story and the animation is fantastic. I LOVE the Totoro's faces.
[] Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)- I'm pretty sure it's some sort of crime that as a vintage anime fan I haven't seen this
[] Only Yesterday (1991)
[X] Pom Poko (Tanuki War)(1994) - Not as lovable as some of the other ghibli's but still great
[X] Porco Rosso (1992) - I surprisingly really liked this one
[X] Princess Mononoke (1999)- I don't love this like everyone else does, but it's great
[X] Spirited Away (2002) - I LOVE this movie, the bath house spirits and creatures have great designs
[X] Whisper of the Heart (1995)
[] Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea (2009) - We really wanted to see this in the theater when it came out, but none of local theaters had it and we haven't gotten the dvd yet.

SATOSHI KON
-------------------------------
[X] Millennium Actress (2001)- really weird, but interesting
[X] Paprika (2006) - Really good but not up to the hype
[X] Perfect Blue (1999) - This is the perfect marriage of mindfuck, drama and great animation
[X] Tokyo Godfathers (2003)- Really really great story and surprising for Kon
[X] Memories - "Magnetic Rose" part (1995)- I loved all of Memories and Magnetic Rose was my favorite part

SHINKAI MAKOTO
-------------------------------
[X] She and Her Cat (1999)- This was packaged with voices of a distant star and was the better part
[X] Voices of a Distant Star (2001)- Ok but way overrated
[] The Place Promised in Our Early Days (2004)
[] 5 Centimeters per Second (2007)


OTHER ANIME FILMS
-------------------------------
[X] Akira (1989)
[] Appleseed (2004)
[] Appleseed: Ex Machina (2007)
[] Arcadia of My Youth (U.S. Title - Vengeance of the Space Pirate) (1982)
[x] Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (2003)- This was my first introduction to Cowboy BeBop, I avoided it because it was so hyped but this film proved all the hype was worth it
[] The Dagger of Kamui (U.S. Title - Revenge of the Ninja Warrior) (1985)
[] Dirty Pair: Project Eden (1987)
[] End of Evangelion (1997)
[] Fist of the North Star (1986) Oh, god this was great nonsense!
[O]Galaxy Express 999 (1979)- I've seen a lot of this but not all even though I Love Galaxy Express
[x] Ghost in the Shell (1996)- Great Great SciFi Film and one of the few I prefer dubbed to subbed
[] The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006)
[] Lensman (1984)
[] Macross: Do You Remember Love (U.S. Title - Clash of the Bionoids) (1984)
[X] Metropolis (2001) - I LOVED the animation in this film, I thought it was a great presentation of Tezuka's story
[] Neo-Tokyo (1986)
[X] Ninja Scroll (1993)- I love this even though it's ridiculous blood and gore
[] Patlabor the Movie (1989)
[] The Professional: Golgo 13 (1983)-I really want to see this one
[] Project A-ko (1986)
[X] Robot Carnival (1987) - this is a great collection, some are better than others but as a whole it's fantastic and well worth the watch if you can scare up the VHS and still have a working VCR. The prescence segment is one of my all time favorites
[] Robotech: The Shadow Chronicle (2006)
[] Silent Möbius (1991)
[] Space Adventure Cobra (1982)
[X] Steamboy (2004) - My dad recorded this off TV for me and cut off the end, I really need to watch it again as I liked it
[] Sword of the Stranger (2007)
[X] Unico and the Island of Magic (1983)- I LOVE UNICO, but I can't quite bold it because really unico is super annoying. But I have this unicorn problem that blocks my annoyance receptors when watching it.
[] Urotsukidoji: The Movie (1987)
[X] Vampire Hunter D (1985) - I love D so much, Though in all honesty I wish this film had been done better.
[X] Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust (2000) - More coherent story than the original and total amazing eye candy, but for some reason I like it less than the original
[] Wings of Honneamise: Royal Space Force (1987)


CARTOONS FOR GROWN-UPS
-------------------------------
[] American Pop (1981)
[X] The Animatrix (2003)
[x] Beavis & Butthead Do America (1996).
[X] Cool World (1992)
[X] Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001)
[X] Final Fantasy: Advent Children (2005)- I really do not know why so many people raved about this it was ok but nothing great
[] Fire & Ice (1983)
[0] Fritz the Cat (1972)- I've seen parts of this and it's currently in our Netflix queue
[X] Heavy Metal (1981)- I liked this when I was younger probably because it was so "naughty" and forbidden. Now I'm just ok with it.
[O] Heavy Metal 2000 (2000)- for wahtever reason I never got to watching the end of this but I didn't like enough to really care
[] Hey Good Lookin' (1982)
[] Lady Death (2004)- have this dvd and even a repro cel from it, but haven't watched it.
[] A Scanner Darkly (2006) - really want to see this, currently in the netflix queue
[X] South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)
[] Street Fight (Coonskin) (1975)
[] Waking Life (2001)


OTHER ANIMATED MOVIES
-------------------------------
[] Animal Farm (1954)
[] Animalympics (1980)
[] Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon The Movie (2007)
[] Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - I'm not sure if I've seen this or not
[X] The Brave Little Toaster (1988) - so cute
[] Bravestarr: The Movie (1988)
[] Cats Don't Dance (1997)
[X] Care Bears: The Movie (1985)- Loved this as Kid, much less paltable as an adult
[X] Fern Gully (1992)- Tim Curry as Hexsus made this film, Though Robin William as Batty was pretty fantastic too
[] G.I. Joe: The Movie (1987)
[X] Gobots: Battle of the Rock Lords (1986)- I'm positive I've seen this but I don't remember it
[] He-Man & She-Ra: The Secret of the Sword (1985)- I probably saw this, but I'm not sure
[X] The Hobbit (1977)- Scared the crap out of me as a child
[X] The Iron Giant (1999) - I saw this and remeber liking it, but don't remember details so I'm gonna watch it again (also in the Netflix queue)
[] Justice League: The New Frontier (2008)
[] Lord of the Rings (1978)
[X] Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland (1992)- I saw this but only remember bits and pieces
[X] My Little Pony: The Movie (1986) - I love ponies
[o] Pink Floyd's The Wall (1982)- I've seen parts of this and have the DVD but haven't seen it all
[] The Prince of Egypt (1998)
[] Powerpuff Girls: The Movie (2002)
[] Quest For Camelot (1999)
[] Ringing Bell (1978) - i'd actually really like to see this one, it's tough to track down though
[] The Road to El Dorado (2000)
[X] Space Jam (1996)- I believe I can fly...
[] Starchaser: The Legend of Orin (1985)
[] Superman: Doomsday (2007)
[X] The Swan Princess (1994)- There are parts I really like about this film and parts I don't
[] Transformers: The Movie (1986) - I've probably seen this but do not remember at all
[] Wizards (1977)
[X] Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)- Whenever I see this I just think about what a licensing nightmare it must be
[] Wonder Woman (2009)
[O] Balto (1995)- I didn't like this from what I saw of it
[X] Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (2002)-I think this could have been soooo much better


Whew that was long

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails