Search This Blog

Monday, November 2, 2009

How to cook in glasses

So, it's only day two of NaBloWriMo and I'm already veering into completely random stuff that has nothing to do with the normal content of this blog. I had thought this would take longer. I am going to do one of my regularly schedule updates in tomorrow, a Retro Review so maybe that will jump start me back on topic.

But tomorrow is not today.

Today I've got a quandary that plagues my daily life. How in the heck are you supposed to cook in glasses?

Let's start with a little background. When I was a wee lass, very wee around 4ish, it was discovered that I had a lazy eye. Which meant I had to wear glasses (and an eye patch, but I'm not even going to go into that right now). I was already social awkward, studious, and funny looking, my blue plastic glasses just made things infinitely worse. So I kept conveniently leaving them at home in the mornings, until it got to the point where my teachers would send me home to get them because they knew it was on purpose. At that point I thought I'd be saddled with them forever. Then one fateful day in 6th grade I got in fight for reasons I don't recall with a girl I barely remember. During said fight my glasses got broken. My parents never got around to replacing them and for the rest of my school career, and several years after, I was blissfully glasses free.

Fast forward o last year when I realized that I was having a lot of eyestrain issues while watching TV and playing games and I found myself thinking that it was probably my old eye issues coming back to haunt me. Earlier this year a trip to the optometrist confirmed that I shouldn't have been such a stupid kid and just wore my darn glasses.

So now here we are and now that I'm older I don't mind wearing my glasses and while I don't wear them constantly I do wear them daily. I have just one issue, cooking. If I forget to take my glasses off while making anything warm, I always have the moment of disorienting blindness when I lean over a pot or open an oven. I know I could just take mine off, but some people would be more blind with no glasses than wearing the completely fogged ones. So what the heck?I haven't worn glasses for 15 years so maybe I've forgotten something. Is there a special head movement or something to prevent this from happening or should I just to resolve to give up cooking? I just don't remember this being such an issue before.

So there's my entry for the day. It's totally off topic and boring, but at least I got through it. Hopefully I'll be a little more interesting and on topic as the month progresses.

~Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails